Thursday, September 3, 2009

TRAVEL THE WORLD - ATHENS


For more than 20 years, my husband, Paul, and I have traveled the world. We've visited Europe, Asia, Africa and North America.

Why do we travel? Mainly it's because of our interest in people - their history, culture, architecture, art, their achievements and their challenges. Starting today, I will begin to post the highlights of these vacations.

The first photo - I think very appropriately - is of the Parthenon in Athens taken in 1998. I first saw the Parthenon in 1984 and was filled with anticipation on the climb up to see it. It is perhaps the most significant site in all the world, not only for its pure beauty but also because it symbolizes all that we admire in the ancient Greeks - their mathematics and science, their respect for the individual, their practice of democracy, their attempts to understand the human condition, and the classical beauty of their architecture, vase painting and sculpture.

No comments: