Monday, September 7, 2009

TRAVEL THE WORLD - LIEGE, BELGIUM

In 2008, my cousins who live near Liege took us here. The crosses are to commemorate members of the Belgian resistance who were killed in Word War Two. The lateness of the day with night approaching made for a very sombre occasion. Each cross bore the name of a person who had been put to death here during the German occupation. Five of these had on them my family name, Darimont. We also saw the brick wall where members of the resistance were shot. Seeing such things brings home the reality of these events as nothing else can.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Dear Annette,
One of the names you seen is "René Darimont".
René is the son of my aunt "Marie" who lived to "Herbiester" ,a little village just near Jalhay.
René's son is Jacky ,with whom I had frequently meetings when I was a child.Jacky was bred by his grand mother because he was orphan.I think his mother died in same tragical event than his father.Presently ,I have lost Jacky traces.Unfortunately!! Perhaps...a day ??http://www.bel-memorial.be/names_on_memorials/names_on_mon_id_522.php