Friday, December 19, 2008

INDIA VACATION 2007





AGRA - THE TAJ MAHAL

The Taj Mahal is perhaps India's most famous sight. It is truly spectacular, especially when seen early in the day when the light is clear and there are not too many tourists. The Taj Mahal is a mausoleum built by the Mughal emperor, Shah Jahan, in memory of his favourite wife.

The Taj Mahal is considered to be the finest example of Mughal architecture. In 1983, it was named a UNESCO World Heritage Sight. It was described then as "the jewel of Muslim art in India and one of the universally admired masterpieces of the world's heritage."

While the white-domed mausoleum is most familiar, Taj Mahal is an integrated complex which also includes two mosques and beautifully landscaped gardens. It was completed around 1648.

Pictured in the photos above: 1) and 2) in the grounds of the Taj Mahal, 3) Annette and Paul at the Taj Mahal, and 4) the entrance to the Taj Mahal.

This posting on my blog completes the photobook. Publishing it on the Internet was my initial goal in starting this blog. Only a few days remain before Christmas, and I will be very busy now preparing for the arrival of my son, his wife, and their three wonderful sons. When the festivities are over and my guests have returned to Ottawa, I will have time to consider whether to continue with my blog, and if I do, what sort of travels I will post.

No comments: