Thursday, November 5, 2009

TRAVEL THE WORLD - WORCESTER CATHEDRAL, U.K.


Worcester was a destination for weekend outings while I lived in Birmingham in the 1970's. The city has charm and a lovely location on the Severn River, but parts of it had an air of poverty and deprivation. I spent an hour or so in the cathedral in 1994 when this photo was taken. An elderly volunteer was kind enough to take me on a tour. He explained that, because it was not one of England's most well-known cathedrals, there were limited funds for maintenance, and consequently a great danger that the cathedral would deteriorate. He was a nice man, very knowledgeable about the cathedral which he loved, and I thoroughly enjoyed my time there. I have often wondered whether sufficient funds to provide for upkeep have been made available.

No comments: