Monday, February 16, 2009

LIFE OF MY FATHER, JOHN DARIMONT - 3




EMIGRATION TO CANADA

Details about the family's emigration to Canada were provided by my aunt Jacqueline and my mother. My great-grandfather, Jean Gaspard III Darimont, pictured in the photo, was the first family member to come to North America. As a Brussels businessman who was importing Waverley bicycles and hardware from America, he visited that country early in the 20th Century. He was impressed by how easy it was to acquire land for farming there compared with Europe. Consequently, in 1905, he and three of his married children and their spouses left Belgium for Canada where they settled on a homestead at Fort Saskatchewan, Alberta near Edmonton.

The first photo is of Jean Gaspard Darimont II, my great great grandfather. The second photo is an advertisement for Waverley bicycles, and the third is of my great grandfather, Jean Garspard Darimont III.



No comments: