Tuesday, February 24, 2009

LIFE OF MY FATHER - 13






CAMPING OUT IN NORTHERN ALBERTA

My grandfather's new job with the Province of Alberta involved travel throughout northern Alberta assessing the value of farmland. My aunt Jacqueline told us that occasionally he would take her and my father with him. They would camp at various lakes such as Moose Lake, Lac La Biche and Lesser Slave Lake. She enjoyed doing this very much. Sometimes it would be a vacation for the whole family. Often, however, only my father would go while she remained at home helping to look after her brother Albert, who was nine years younger. She recalled having feelings of resentment over this. She also mentioned that the only vacations people had in those days were camping trips.

The first photo is of camping at Lac La Biche in 1927, the second is of my grandfather resting by the side of the road in 1927 (notice the briefcase on the wagon), the next two are of Lesser Slave Lake in 1927, the last is at Good Fish Lake in 1928.




1 comment:

Grumpy said...

You are very blessed to have these photos. I know there are pictures of my great-grandparents and grandparents in new Brunswick and Nova Scotia, but I have no idea who has them. What a treasure.